- Combine 2 cups crushed strawberries with 2Tbsp lemon and 4 cups sugar in a large bowl.
- Combine ¾ cup water and the pectin in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil that you cannot stir down, stirring constantly, and boil for 1 minute, still stirring constantly.
- Pour the pectin mix into the fruit mix and stir for 3 minutes. The sugar will dissolve, the berry mix will become sort-of opaque, and it will get slightly thickened.
- Ladle into clean jars or small, tupperware-ish containers. It makes about 6 cups.
- Put in the fridge until set, about 24 hours. Then use or freeze.
So, always wanted to make jam, but were intimidated by the processing and the mess? Well, you need not be intimidated any more! Just grab yourself a packet of Ball Original Fruit Pectin (formerly known as Sure-Jell), and make yourself some freezer jam! Here are the steps, but the instructions are right in the packet. There are also instructions for berry, cherry, peach, strawberry-banana, and strawberry-kiwi. We actually added a few mulberries to our strawberry batch, giving us wonderful purple dots in the pink!
Welcome to Growing Goodness! This website is dedicated to growing good things, both plants and children. It's a gardening blog with maternal overtones, as I discuss the goodness and value of plants, both wild and domestic. In the process I hope to help you pass a love of nature on to your children. Happy Gardening!